Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Change Is What We Need!

Another election year over.

As I watched each state of the Union once again turn the predictable red or blue, it only confirmed that my vote would count if I were a Democrat or a Republican. But I am neither. Even if I had voted for another party's candidate, what good would such a vote be among the majority cast for the super parties? I did not want to vote for either McCain or Obama. I know, I know - I seem to find myself a part of a very minute, insignificant tribe that wanders into unfamiliar territory every four to eight years. Exercising my “right to vote” seems to be the question - or in question. So while you may still be scratching your heads, let me invite you into mine for a moment and tell you what I have observed:

We cannot finger point and blame anyone (including George Bush, or any president past, present or future, for that matter) for America’s moral decline and economic instabilities. In fact, I wouldn't wish the U.S. presidency on anyone, and it takes a whole lot of courage (and a certain amount of insanity) to even desire that seat, much less spend the time and money to actually vie for it. But all of the campaign hype and rallies, media blitzes and red herring politics have only, for a moment, conveniently shifted the focus away from two of the greatest, most powerful beasts: GREED and PRIDE. Those who continually feed these beasts are the ones at fault, and feeding them has proven quite costly (and I'm not just talking monetarily, either). And who feeds them? America does. So America is to blame.

Throughout the 2008 campaign, I tried hard not to lose focus on what has become a somewhat clichéd saying: “What would Jesus do?” I thought about the governments that Christ was subjected to - Rome's (supposed) democracy, Judaic law and the Sanhedrin, of which Jesus had plenty of encounters. While Rome tolerated (more like ignored) Judaic law and its obvious lack of “separation of church and state," Israel's children were still compelled to submit to the rule of both Judaic and gentile law. They couldn't very well vote for their Roman dictatorships, and their own legalistic religion pretty much kept them busy and in line, anyway. Sure, there was hope for a Messiah, but I guess His “campaign” at the time wasn't quite as convincing to the Jews as hoped (John 1:11). But of course, the rest is history!

I am appreciating the silence yearned for since the continual barrage of noise: “Obama for change!" “McCain for change!” “Obama for the family!” “McCain for the traditional family!” Yes, even America’s traditional families and marriages are plagued by problems of their own, including divorce, depression, drugs and alcohol, domestic violence, infidelity, etc. I have never seen such emotion generated by political persuasion, or motivations spurred by stereotypical fear and panic as during this election.

Which made me think of a crazy idea: How about “Jesus for change?” How about “Christians for change?” Why not “Christians against greed, pride and violence?” How about Christians for unconditional love? Because guess what, folks - a greater than Jonah or Solomon is here! (Luke 11:29-32) A greater than Moses is here! (Hebrews 3) A greater than Bush, McCain or Obama is here! A “greater than anyone” is here! Have we forgotten the Greatest Candidate of all to win the hearts, minds and souls of America? Our Commander in Chief has already spoken! Or are we so used to being spoon-fed the Bible from the pulpits that we've failed to actually put into practice what the Shepherd of all shepherds has commanded us to do at the most basic level? Because until the world has learned how to love - what other resounding political gongs are taking precedence?

Hey, I'm definitely no saint. I mess up all the time; and can surely take the blame for a myriad of mistakes made in my lifetime (big ones, too). But I know the kind of Christian I have absolutely no desire to be. I don't want to be a Christian against gays/lesbians, or that despises, excludes or hurts people because they have a different skin color, or speak another language. I don't want to be a Christian against Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Mormons or any religion. I don't want to be a Christian that judges those who dress differently, or who might be self-conscious about their weight or their looks. I don't want to be a Christian who is demeaning, abusive, controlling or manipulative to my spouse, family, neighbors, or those I work or do business with. I don't want to be the kind of Christian who cowardly gossips and talks behind peoples’ backs because I don't have the courage to talk to them, face to face, and really get to know them. I don't want to be the kind of Christian who thinks and acts like Christianity is a members-only club, with “being saved” as a part of some pre-qualification checklist. And I don't want to be the kind of Christian that prays, “God, I'm so grateful that I am not like other people - adulterers, sodomites, evildoers, etc. I am SO glad I'm saved, and not lost and blind like them.”

There's been a lot of talk lately about needed change in America. But no president, government, or political party is going to bring that about. The “vote for change” isn't going to happen our way by marking a ballot in the polls. His name was not on the ticket, but in my heart I chose Jesus. And in voting for Him, I voted a vote that really counts!

Non-believers need a change of direction by accepting their inability to live a moral life and by accepting Christ as Savior and Lord.

Believers need a change of understanding to see that Jesus has come to actually live in them, in a living union, so that they are able to change! Because real change happens each morning we wake up and decide how we’re going to be that day by dependence on Christ. Change begins in the hearts of those who choose right now to put into practice what Jesus has commanded us to do all along, regardless of our past, present or future. Change is about forgiveness, and actually making things right. Change begins when we have our eyes opened to what Christ in us would have us do for those around us who are in need of genuine love and prayer. This morning - and every morning - change begins within us.

[Back to Home]