Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Voting

Every time we have a general election, like the one looming on the horizon, I kind of wonder, “How would Jesus vote? Or would He even bother?”

Some Christians believe that they should not only vote but be politically active. I recognize that perspective and respect those who hold it, but I still have reservations about “jumping on the bandwagon”.

As you probably know, it’s still difficult to convince some within American Christendom that it’s okay to vote for anyone or any cause that is not Republican. For many Christians, God must be a Republican.

Absolute affiliation and allegiance with any political party is out of character with our citizenship in heaven (Philippians 3:20). I believe that uncritical devotion to any political interest can be a fatal attraction that leads us away from Jesus into the clutches of the state.

People might ask you how you are going to vote. I don’t believe that we should answer how we are going to vote or even if we are going to vote.

Beyond that, I don’t think pastors, priests or ministry leaders should get involved in using their platforms to urge people about who or what they should vote for – or even whether they ought to, or ought not, vote in the first place. Know this: there is no New Testament teaching that directs Christians to attempt to influence or change political institutions.

I am thankful that I live in a country where a separation between church and state exists. After all, the church needs to be protected from the state. Some Christians will hear me say that and nod their approval. But then I have to add that this safeguard goes both ways.

The other side of that safeguard is that the civil government needs to be protected from the church. Religious fundamentalism and extremism in our world today presents a contemporary, compelling and chilling example of what can happen when such checks and balances do not exist. I believe the church – the body of Christ – best functions in its culture as a believing minority, rather than a moral majority. Christians are described within the pages of the New Testament as pilgrims, strangers, resident aliens and ambassadors, rather than wheeling and dealing political power brokers.

Just as I believe that Christians may attend a variety of Christ-centered, grace-based churches – or even, at times, choose not to attend any institutionalized church – I believe Christians may be brothers and sisters in Christ and cast their ballots in completely different ways. Beyond that I believe that Christians may determine for perfectly valid reasons not to vote at all.

As a Christian, I have no duty to force the culture in which I reside to live as a Christian society. On the other hand, I do have a calling to live out the life of Jesus in such a way that His love for all mankind is known in and through my life. This is in marked contrast to the reality present within some of Christianity where abrasiveness and in-your-face political dogmatism is seen as a litmus test of church membership. My liberty in Christ means that I afford liberty to others when their political opinions and convictions conflict with mine.

I don’t belong to a political party. I am an independent voter. When I vote I vote for the cause or the person, not the party with which they are affiliated. If I vote I vote for issues and individuals in spite of their connection with a political organization.

Democrat or Republican?

As a Christian, I am not a Democrat because…
* I don’t agree with many of the moral issues they support and endorse.
* It seems to me that many Democrats tend to value sex over marriage and career over family.
* I don’t think we need more government, I don’t think we need to spend more money – I think we need to use the money we have more wisely (but then the Republican party doesn’t seem to do such a great job in this area either).
* I am opposed to the self-righteousness of some Democrats who give me the impression that I should vote for a candidate simply because of their gender or race, regardless of their beliefs and convictions.

As a Christian, I admire the Democratic party for its…
* historic decisions to support civil rights, in particular to champion the cause of ending tacit government support of racism.
* Looking out for the underdog and the little guy, the working man and woman, the parentless and the poor. Unless I completely miss what Jesus is all about, these are core, Christ-centered issues (although, let’s be honest, these issues are not usually supported by the Democratic party for Christ-centered reasons).

As a Christian (and some will say, “How could you, as a Christian, say anything bad bout the Republican party?”), I am not a Republican because…
* Republicans seem to love the fetus but that same zeal and love for life seems to terminate at birth – what about the little ones who actually have been born and are in desperate straits?
* Republicans seem to bang the drums about certain moral value issues but remaining strangely silent about others. I do wonder if certain legislation is the price this party will pay to attract the “Christian vote” while having no commitment to other Christ-centered issues.
* Republicans seem to favor policies that help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Compassion is not a word that immediately springs to mind when I hear the word “Republican” – but again, this critique generally applies to politics at large.
* I am concerned that Republican policies seem to care little about the environment. My mother taught me to clean up after myself and leave places I visited or used in as good or better condition than I had found them. I believe God would have us feel much the same about the creation He has allowed us to use. It’s His good earth, not ours.

As a Christian, I admire the Republican party for its…
* Support of the family and home and many of the values in which I as a Christian believe. However, that fact alone doesn’t turn me into a flag waving, drum beating Republican. I do not believe that Christian moral values are produced by political parties – Christian moral values are produced by Jesus. Atheists can be extremely moral people. The fact that good, moral atheists exist doesn’t mean I automatically support atheists and their platforms.
* Strong and unrelenting stand against crime and aggression, foreign and domestic.

How would Jesus vote? I don’t know. Would He vote? I don’t know.

If He determined to vote, I believe that by God’s grace I have a better sense of how He would vote than I did years ago (after all, since I have now reached the age when I can take advantage of some senior citizens discounts, I have to console myself that I must have gained some wisdom and insight along the way!).

My geezer-wisdom tells me that Jesus would probably tell us about voting:
“Treasure your freedom and choice to decide whether to vote, and, if you vote, exactly what decisions you will make. Thank God that there are still people around this world who are given the right to think for themselves. Avoid those who would manipulate you (even from pulpits). If you decide to vote, pray about the votes you intend to cast. And give others, even and especially within the body of Christ, respect as a fellow child of God when they differ with you. And remember this: My Father is in control behind the scenes of all politics."

[Back to Home]