Sunday, January 20, 2008

Basking In Yourself

I have a tendency lately to forget important stuff like personal appointments, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It may be because I am getting older; but, given that I’ve always been kind of prone to forgetting important stuff, it’s probably just intrinsic to who I am.

However there is a forgetfulness that is common and intrinsic to every Christian. It is a leftover part of the Fall which still lingers in our minds and Christians must fight it all the time. We forget how good the good news really is. Paul was surprised when the Galatians forgot.

He wrote: “You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?” (Gal. 3:1). “Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?” (Gal. 3:3, KJV). In other words: What were you thinking? Have you already forgotten?

Paul should not have been surprised. We can’t help it.

There is something in our soul-mind causing us to become the very thing Jesus came to prevent. Maybe we believe that we could not be that bad or that God’s grace could be that good.

Maybe it’s just that a religion of rules and righteousness is attractive because we want to do it ourselves and, more importantly, we want to get the credit for it. It could be that pride and self-righteousness are so much a part of us that we’re attracted to that which affirms it.

And then it could be that we’ve been playing the game of religion for so long and are so used to it that we have come to believe it is the only game in town.

We had an ice storm this morning which woke me up a little earlier than usual. I decided to read my Bible and spend time on spiritual things with Jesus.

When it was time to let the dog out, I got out of my chair and this thought hit me:

I said (and I’m blushing when I tell you this…and, if you say I said it, I’ll say you lied), “I’ll bet there aren’t many Christians who get up this early to be with you, Lord. I’ll bet you’re proud of me and will bless me for doing this. See how much I love you and how faithful I am to you.”

I heard Him laughing.

I think He said, “Are you crazy? If there were any benefit in your getting up so early, you just blew it with your arrogance, your super-spirituality and the violation of everything I’ve ever taught you.”

That would have ruined my day, but He never condemns.

He also said to me, “Don’t look so depressed. That was the wrong approach you made to Me, but I’m still fond of you.”

I repented and, of course, I was forgiven.

And then He told me that, if I had not repented, He would still love me.

But I’ve been thinking about my attitude and trying to understand it. Frankly, given the fact that I’ve written about grace and attend a church named “Grace Church”, I don’t understand how I forget so easily.

I don’t understand the reversion to works and how that constantly haunts me. I don’t understand why I tell others that, if they miss their physical rituals and spiritual devotions, God won’t be angry. But then I feel that if I miss mine, God will be ticked and something really bad will happen during the day.

I don’t understand how I can tell people that sin by a Christian, as bad as it is, can drive them to His arms and still think that my sin makes me unwelcome in His presence.

What is it with me? Of all people, I ought to know better.

Let me tell you. The same thing that’s wrong with you. I just know it and admit it, making me more spiritual than you are…uh…sorry - erase that.

But it’s true about how we are all attracted to selfishness and the temporary enjoyment of it. There is something in all of our minds that causes us to bask in doing it right, trying harder and succeeding, and in being better than most other Christians.

Why do you think Jesus was a friend of the winebibber and sinners?

Was it because He affirmed them in their sin?

Of course not!

Was it because He didn’t care about their sin?

You’re kidding!

It was because they knew their sin and also knew that, if anything depended on them and their goodness, they were lost. Those are the kinds of people with whom Jesus hung out. The people He got ticked off at were the religious ones who thought they were better than others.

The kind of attitude I manifested this morning is the kind of thing that causes division, condemnation and destruction in the body of Christ.

It is the manifestation of having our own righteousness (i.e. our purity, correctness, knowledge or reputation) to protect – and anytime we do that we’re in trouble and cause trouble everywhere we go.

This morning I obeyed the law. I got up early and spent a lot of time with the Lord. I felt self-righteous and spiritual.

But what am I going to do when I sleep in, think I don’t have time to pray or don’t even feel much love?

He told me this morning that it is far better to sleep in and forget about praying than it is to get up, be spiritual and to bask in self-righteousness that comes from doing it.

[Back to Home]