Friday, July 06, 2007

The Key Is In the Tears

I’m sort of political. In fact, all of us Christians have to be political! The problem with being political is one of divided loyalties. It’s this dual citizenship that can drive you nuts. I’m a United States citizen, and I love my country. I’m also a citizen of the Kingdom of God, and I love that country too.

I’m torn between my love for (and particular views on) America and my love for (and Jesus’ views on) the Kingdom of God. Where do I draw the line between being an “in-your-face” angry patriot and being humble and in the background? How do I deal with my growing weariness of and anger with real racism and my awareness of “reverse racism” and “races as victims”? What’s the difference between creating (perhaps out of compassion) a permanent underclass in America thus destroying the fabric of society, and my call to love and have compassion on the poor? How is one to love gays and lesbians without giving approval to a lifestyle that is clearly not approved by God?

It goes on and on, as you can imagine. I have particular views on all of those and many similar issues. But I’m talking about the attitude of a Christian (regardless of political persuasion) to the dual citizenship that we all have.

Do you remember when Jesus came to Jerusalem to die? Luke says, “As He approached Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it….” (Luke 19:41).

I think I’ve found the key. THE KEY IS IN THE TEARS.

Jesus never compromised. He clearly spoke harsh truth and even rose up with righteous indignation at the con artists in the temple. You will note that immediately after the weeping over Jerusalem, Jesus spoke harsh truth about the destruction of Jerusalem and then went to the temple to kick posteriors.

THE KEY IS IN THE TEARS.

Jesus spoke harsh truth – harsher than anything we will ever speak. He granted grace to the most sinful, angry sinners. He then gave Himself in ways that we can hardly imagine and that we will never give ourselves.

Think about it! When we speak truth without tears, it’s just condemnation and judgment. When we grant grace and mercy without tears, it’s just self-righteousness. When we give compassion without tears, it’s just moralistic “do-goodism”.

THE KEY IS IN THE TEARS.

So I’ve asked God to give me tears before anything else. I want to see things through the eyes of Jesus, to love the way He loved and to show compassion the way He showed compassion.

But I also want to be clear where He was clear and to never back off from the truth as He never did. But it’s the attitude that is important…the sorrow seen in the tears.

And one other thing. Jesus wept for us from a position of purity, holiness and righteousness. Our tears can never be like that. We sin – we are too confused and too needy ourselves. Our tears are for THEM…and for OURSELVES.

[Back to Home]